Frequently Asked Questions
1. When do you fly?
We fly every weekend from May 1st until Oct 31st, weather permitting. The season
may go longer than that but this is our prime flying season.
2. How do I know if you are flying on the weekend?
If the weather is good, we are likely flying. If you want to verify before coming
out call us at the field (780-363-3860 toll-free from Edmonton and area)
3. Where is the field?
The field is located about 2km north of the town of Chipman. See the Map
4. What is the cost of getting a glider license?
You pay for club membership, the cost of your flights, and the cost of a Transport
Canada exam (about $125.00). See the rates page or learn
5. What do I have to do to get a license?
There are various components to getting your license and they are:
a member of the club. See the membership rates.
- Instructional flights
until you are proficient enough to fly solo. These are flights with
an ESC instructor, usually between 30 & 50 flights depending
on skills. You pay for glider time and tows; you do not pay for instructors.
Average cost for an instructional flight is about $30.00.
- Solo flights as a student. You must complete a minimum of 20
flights solo before you can get a license.
- Check flights (minimum 2) with
an instructor after 20 solos.
- Ground School. You must have minimum of 15 hrs
ground school. ESC will put on free ground school if sufficient number
of students, or you may take ground school from any recognized flying school
at additional cost.
- You must then pass a written Transport Canada exam and meet the necessary
6. Does ESC provide ground school?
Yes we do provide ground school. During the winter months we will organize
a ground school if we have sufficient students prepared to take the
Our minimum is 5 students.
7. How do I join the club and get started?
Come out to our field at Chipman and pay your membership fees for
the year. See rates.
8. What does it cost for a ride in a glider?
9. How do I go about getting a glider ride?
We do not pre-book flights, so you have to be at the field when we
are flying. The queue at the field is first come, first served. The
best time to get your name on the list is between 11:00 AM & Noon.
Later in the day it can get busy and we may not be able to fit you in.